About Me

My photo
I'm 29 and I live in St.Charles with my husband Rob and baby girl Alivia

Friday, June 26, 2009

The Avocado Tree

In early april I ate lunch at Chevys with my mom and sister. When we were leaving the kids got a balloon. There was a little brown bag stapled to the end of the balloon string that contained an avocado seed and directions for how to grow an avocado tree. I thought it would be cool to try it so I read the directions and followed them very carefully. First, I had to suspend the seed over a glass of water with toothpicks and fill the cup with water so that the seed was half in the water and half out. Then you basically wait for about 5-7 weeks for the seed to crack and grow a root. Next I went out and bought a pot to plant the seed in, I already had the dirt. I planted it and set the pot outside. You're supposed to leave the seed half in the dirt and half out and keep the soil moist. I was doing everything I was told to do!!! It had rained almost everyday so the soil was very moist. I was so proud!!! About a week ago I was walking to my car in the morning and noticed there was nothing sticking out of the pot!!! An animal dug it out and ATE IT!!! I couldn't believe after all my hard work the seed was gone!!! Oh well, maybe we'll try again some other time, but next time I'll have to figure out where I can put the pot so animals won't get into it!!

No comments: